Control Solutions’ Babel Buster® SP is a Modbus to SNMP gateway that functions as a Modbus master or slave, and SNMP server. The purpose of the SP is to connect Modbus devices to SNMP. The SP can also be used to remap Modbus RTU to Modbus TCP or vice versa.
• Connect Modbus devices to SNMP
• Connect SNMP devices to Modbus network
• Modbus RTU master or slave
• Configurable for RS-232 or RS-485
• Modbus TCP client and server
• SNMP v2c server (agent)
• Universal, fully configurable
• No extra software or drivers to buy
• Configured via internal web server
Babel Buster SP is a Modbus to Modbus and a Modbus to SNMP Gateway. The SP is more than a protocol translator. It is a self contained server that collects and distributes data according to the rules you create. The most common use of the SP is to map Modbus RTU and/or Modbus TCP devices to SNMP. The SNMP manager can use SNMP Get to retrieve contents of any mapped Modbus register. In addition, the SP uses threshold rule templates to continuously monitor Modbus data and generate SNMP Traps upon sensing of “alarm” conditions.
The primary applications for Babel Buster SP are serial to Ethernet conversion for Modbus devices, and SNMP access to serial or Ethernet Modbus devices. As a Modbus to Modbus gateway, the SP will map multiple RTU devices to a single Modbus TCP server map. It can also map multiple Modbus TCP devices to a single RTU slave map. The SP can also do Modbus TCP to Modbus TCP register re-mapping to retrofit equipment to a legacy Modbus register map. The Modbus RTU port can be configured as master or slave. The Modbus TCP port can operate as both client and server (master and slave) concurrently.
The SP includes its own internal web server that provides a web based user interface for configuring the SP. Configuration is done using simple templates, and each web page has an online help section at the bottom.
Click on any of the links below to view a demo copy of the entire Web UI in the BB2-7010.
Babel Buster SP Features
• Modbus RTU RS-485 Master or Slave
• Modbus TCP Client and Server
• Modbus TCP over Ethernet 10/100BaseT
• SNMP get/set access to all data points
• SNMP trap generation, user programmable criteria
• 1000 16-bit registers (300 useable for SNMP)
• 500 32-bit floating point registers (100 useable for SNMP)
• Supports Modbus “coils”, input registers, holding registers
• Single/double, signed/unsigned, and IEEE 754
• Modbus register mapping configured via web interface
• Modbus register scaling (x10, x100, x0.1, x0.01, etc.)
• Modbus (master) polling interval configurable per point
• User defined “virtual device” register map
• Supports user HTML “wrapper”
• Configure via web pages
• Flash file system with XML configuration files
• Online help
• Password protection for web log-on and ftp
• Field upgradeable firmware upload via ftp
• DHCP or static IP address
• Configurable for EIA-485 or EIA-232 transceiver for Modbus RTU
• Powered by 9-30VDC @ 0.37A to 0.11A
• Operating temperature -40°C to +85°C
• Humidity 5% to 90%
• FCC Class A, CE Mark
Babel Buster SP Video Library
Watch these videos for an introduction to configuring the gateway. It's easier than reading!
Please note: These videos illustrate screens found in the BB2-6010. The SP and BB2-6010 are functionally identical, except SP does not have an SNMP client. Hardware differences are packaging, and the fact that SP can be configured for RS-232 on the Modbus RTU port. The following videos apply to BB2-6010, SPX, and SP.
Our most extensive technical support is provided by the same engineering staff that developed the products. Your personal attention from this staff is available via the support ticket system.
No user/password is required to open a new ticket. Once you open a ticket, you will immediately receive an email with your ticket number. Your ticket number becomes your login to review your ticket(s) later. Click the Support Ticket icon anywhere you see it. (If you do not get an email with your ticket number, within minutes, check your junk folder, spam settings, etc, and try again if necessary.)Open a Ticket